Choosing again the birthstone for this month, in Gemstone Each Month Series (GEMS) – we would be discussing about Amethyst in February. So like always lets start with some quick facts about Amethyst.
- A variety of Quartz, occurring with various shades of violet.
- It is believed to prevent intoxication and thats how its name orignated, the Greek word “amethystos” meaning “not drunken”.
- Gemstone for February, that’s the reason it got chosen for GEMS this month.
- It has vitreous luster and is pretty hard with hardness 7
- It had great value till 18th century, but had lost some value due to the discovery of extensive deposits in locations such as Brazil
So this was very short info about Amethyst, we would be discussing about it in detail all this month. If you have any info, pics, articles, videos to share about Amethyst do email us at email@example.com.
Image credit :- Marie-Lan Nguyen
You might be interested in:
- GEMS February – Mythology & History behind Amethsyt
- Gems February – How to care for Amethyst Jewelry
- GEMS April – Mines of Diamond
- GEMS March – How to care for Aquamarine Jewelry
- GEMS February – Metaphysical and Healing properties of Amethsyt